Wednesday, November 16, 2005


Quivira 2002 Syrah, Wine Creek Ranch
~$24.00

I pulled this wine from my collection last night to have with dinner and we were very pleased. It is drinking great right now and I wouldn't hold it too much longer. It is showing some signs of accelerated aging but again, it is fantastic right now. Unfortunately I made an awesome Thai dish that didn't go with the wine at all, it was too spicy, but I just had water with dinner and the wine for dessert.

Color: Nice color but showing aging already. The edges are turning a brick red surrounding a dark purple/burgundy core.

Nose: The nose is phenomenal, we sat at the table for 30 minutes just talking about the nose and how it changes. It starts with jammy cherry and rose petal notes from the bottle and then opens up to chocolate, sweet tobacco, cracked pepper corns, and coffee aromas after sitting in the glass for a while. It is a wine that changes quickly as it oxidizes in the glass and gives you more and more to go back to. I had a good time smelling this one.

Palate: This wine is very well balanced. It doesn't leave you puckered with acidity but has enough to cut through the viscosity and tannins of the wine on the palate. The wine covers the whole palate and tannins are soft and lingering. It is a big wine that you continue to feel and taste for a long time.

Overall: I like this wine a lot. Keep it for steak night or at least something from the grill. I would try and drink the whole bottle at the time of opening because it will oxidize quickly. If you can't drink it all, put it in the fridge and then let it warm to room temp. before opening it again.

I give it an A-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home