Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Zenato, Ripassa Valpolicella Speriore 2003


Wow! Great Wine! I bought this wine for $25 and went back to buy another couple of bottles. This is a real value. It comes from the Valpolicella region around Verona Italy. At least 70% of the wine is Corvina according to DOC law and also includes the lesser known Rondinella grapes. The region also produces potent Amarone wines that are higher in alcohol and made from partially dried grapes. This wine is in the Ripasso style which means that the wine is re-fermented on the pressed grape skins giving the wine more body and concentration of flavors.
Color: Very dark, long thick legs with a dark burgundy edge.
Nose: Beautiful raspberry and blueberry notes combined with a strong chocolate mocha aroma. The presence of oak is noticeable giving wafts of vanilla and hazelnuts.
Palate: Big body covering the whole palate, soft tannin with a good acidity giving a long finish lasting well over a minute. The finish also brings more tart fruits and a hint of oak.
Overall: Great wine. I had this with a lamb roast and it complimented it beautifully. I don't think this wine will peak for another 5 years.
I give it an A.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, definitely a great wine. Robert Parker gave it 90 points!

My husband and I had a bottle Wednesday evening with a wonderful Italian meal - I had rib-eye and he had veal. The wine went really well with both. The most surprising thing was, it was drinkable right out of the bottle, even before breathing. After 30 minutes, the taste really came out, and the full flavour complemented our meals superbly.

I'd love to get my hands on a few bottles if there are still some around.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sipping on this wonderful bottle of wine. Great depth. I wish I had more to try in a year or two. I really enjoy the intensity and experiencing it evolve. It has really opened up over the last hour.

Very nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home