Friday, December 23, 2005


Gluwien! What is that?

This past week I opened two bottles of wine that I disliked enough to leave 3/4 full on top of the fridge. I told Ana that we could use them as cooking wine but then I had a great idea. Gluwien! Or simply put, mulled wine. It's a great holiday drink or if you're in Germany it's enjoyed all winter long. I was in Heidelberg Germany 3 years ago the first time I had Gluwien and I was hooked. It is very simple to make and is great to have at holiday parties as an alcoholic substitute for cider. The recipe I have is as follows:

1/2 gallon of red wine
1 cup of orange juice
1/4 cup of sugar
about 2 cups of mulling spices.

Put it all together in a pot and simmer for about 20 minutes then serve hot in a mug. It's that simple. Its a rough recipe, play with it if you like, you really can't go wrong. Oh, by the way, you would have to boil the mixture for an incredibly long time to get all of the alcohol out. This winter drink still packs a punch.

Enjoy! A+

3 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,
what is the mix of the mulling spices you speck of? Do you buy a mix or create your own?
Sounds good to me!

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger David Ogilvie said...

You can just buy a mix. Generally its a mix of dried orange peel, star anise, cloves, and a bunch of other dried bits and pieces of whatever. Try a few different brands and pick your favorite.

 
At 1:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad I found this site I have been searching off and on with no luck in my quest for my beloved German drink. 16 years ago my husband was stationed @ Wharton Barrocks in Heilbronn W. Germany, we lived in Obereisesheim and that was where I had my first taste of this wonderful drink. Thank you for the recipe. Danke und adi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home