Wednesday, December 14, 2005



Wilson Vineyards 2003 Petite Sirah
~$10.00

I wanted to do another post about the Wilson Vineyards Petite Sirah since they have their new 2003 vintage out and it is different enough from the 2001 that I think it deserves its own write up. The new vintage, being younger, shows its youth in the complexity of aromas it is showing. The tannins are still there, as they should be in any Petite Sirah, but they are softer than the previous vintage and cover the whole palate as well.

Color: The color is great. Dark purple although not the same inky purple as the 2001

Nose: Strong plum and tree fruit with a floral note as well. There is also a creamy chocolate orange aroma that makes its presence known after about 20 minutes in the glass.

Palate: Wow, sweet up front with a good coating of soft tannin and viscous alcohol. The finish leaves spicy licorice and roasted coffee beans on the back of the palate.

Overall: I like this wine a lot and think that it is a good representation of the complexity that Petite Sirah can offer.

I give it a A-

2 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

As a big Petite Sirah fan, I'm always on the look out for the good ones. I'll have to watch for this one. It sounds great.

 
At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey just had this toight with dinner - wow great. My wife is deaming this her favorite red wine.

Great review and I look forward tomy next petite

 

Post a Comment

<< Home