Wednesday, February 01, 2006

2003 Argyle Pinot Noir, Oregon


Sorry I have not posted in a while, computer was not feeling too well, but its all fixed now. This was one of my good buys from the store that was closing down. It normally retails for about $20. It comes with a nice stelvin screw cap that I like because I don't have to worry about a falty cork to ruin my purchase.

Color: A nice ruby purple, dark for a Pinot Noir.
Nose: Wow, this is a big Pinot. Its not as Burgundian as a lot of the Oregon Pinots can be, its missing the "barnyard" earthiness. But its got a great strawberry/cherry thing going on with a floral note that picks up as it opens up in the glass.
Palate: Nice, well rounded, missing a step on the mid-palate but gives a nice long, smooth finish. Flavors of red berries stick around on the palate with soft tannins joining the mix.
Overall: I really enjoyed this wine a lot but I couldn't help missing the typical Oregonian "Pinot Funk". It's that funky, rubber tire, earthy aroma. I know it's not good to expect it in every Pinot from Oregon but it is something that I have experienced in many, and I missed it. It made the wine more Californian, and more mainstreem, its easy to like, nothing risky about the winemaking, its an easy sell. Its a good wine, easy to drink, easy to like, but missing the the "cherry on top". I give it a B.


2 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Argyle winemaker consults for some Sonoma County Pinot producers, so that might explain something. I personally would be refreshed by a fruity/floral Pinot. I'll look out for that one.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OREGON ROCKS!
guess who ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home