Monday, February 20, 2006

David Bruce 2003 Central Coast Pinot Noir


We had "the Bruce" with Lamb on Valentines Day. It was awesome. It kept on giving more and more complexity through two hours of dinner, desert, and then ....... Olympic Ice Skating. Her idea of a romantic evening, it was okay though because I got to polish off this wine while watching.

Color: Dark color, sign of a good Dijon clone.
Nose: Very nice, full of the cherry, strawberry ripeness typical of the New World style. It also had a nice amount of oak, not too much to be overwhelm the rest of the wine. The wine also opens up to more Burgundian aromas of mushrooms, damp earth, and some barnyard character.
Palate: The wine is vibrant on the palate showing a lot of its fruit with a smooth long finish. It kept me wanting more.
Overall:I wish I had another bottle to drink right now. My mouth is watering just writing about it. I give it an A, a Pinot like this under $20 is hard to find.

7 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you really drink a Sonoma Coast or could you not find a picture of the Central Coast label? You thought I wasn't paying attention.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger David Ogilvie said...

Yes, you caught me. It was the central coast that I drank. I couldn't find the right picture.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes =)

d.o.

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, great to meet you today. I was the guy looking for wine and you recommended the Eric Solomon wines and the La Tengo. Going to test AT LEAST one out tonight. I'm really impressed with the site, and look forward to discussing more with you. Have a great weekend.

Stephen Hunton
stephen_hunton@richards.com
stephen.hunton@gmail.com

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, I just checked into your blog for the first time since we got back. I'm glad you changed your header to a plain red backgrd. I always was a bit sad that the grape motif (though cool I loved it) kind of interfered with the words....and it was the first thing your blogger guest saw upon opening the site. Everything you review sounds so tasty, I've got to make a list so I can try to find them around Humboldt Co.
-Marti
P.S. I had to laugh when I read your Valentine entry and the bit about your weird girlfriend wanting to watch ice skating. Her mother was in Hong Kong wishing she could do the same! :-)

 
At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Ogilvie,

Since when are aromas of barnyard (brett) and damp earth (tca) signs of an "awesome wine". You must be hanging out with Robert Parker.

Your friend,

Mike Waller

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, I read your blog, it has been a while since school, but I was really impressed. You have a great way of describing things and it made me write down the names of two of the wines to make sure I tried them once I finished this semester. It was great to see a picture of Ana as well.
Shan

 
At 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey are you MIKE WALLER that i lived with in a coop in 2000 at UC Davis??

If so, email me!

a.resilientbliss at gmail!

rock on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home