Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Root :1 Cabernet Sauvignon, Maipo Valley, Chile 2003


Here's a fun wine. I have to admit the package totally sold me on this wine. I sell it for $9.99 but the package is fantastic and makes it look like it's a $30 bottle of wine. I can't say that the wine lived up to its casing but it is still a good value for under $10.00. It is called Root 1 because it came from grapes on their own rootstock, not grafted due to Phylloxera. Does that in itself make it a better wine? Who knows, the verdict is still out.

Color: Dark burgundy, bright crisp edges, no sign of aging.
Nose: Lacking the earthy slatiness that I have come to appreciate in Chilean Cabs. Riper fruit with some licorice and clove spice undertones. The evening after opening more chocolate and damp earth came through.
Palate: Covers the palate well, long finish, almost has a slight sweetness going on but it may just be alcohol. Very new world in style, and why not. It is what it is and it's very drinkable. Don't plan on aging long though.
Overall: I like it, plus points for staying under $10.00 with a great package, oh, and real cork too. I give it a B+

3 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why would own root be better wine?

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

luke says..

You can find this for $7.99 at Costo in Gwinnett. A very good deal and the wine is surprisingly good.

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do I buy this wine in Florida?
Any suggestions. Really want to get some.

Lizzy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home