Thursday, May 18, 2006

Moon Mountain Vineyard, 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County

I have heard a lot of hype about this wine and its big brother, the Moon Mountain Reserve. This winery has been around for a while but has only came into its own under the Chalone Wine Group a few years ago and now since last years acquisition, the Diagio Wine Group. The label just changed to the one shown but the Website still shows the old label. I am having some trouble with the site and can't get the label onto the post, my apologies.

Color: Dark Bing cherry color, showing slight aging on the edge of the glass and very clean and opaque.

Nose: Very enjoyable. Nice leather and damp earth aromas. Kind of like how the farm smells just after a quick rain shower settles the dust. Mocha and vanilla flavors marry with a tart berry character, something like boysenberry. As the wine opens up however, the fun aromas give away to a strong chemical aroma something like nail-polish or rubbing alcohol.

Palate: Pretty non-descript, week mid-palate and a good amount of tannin on the back palate and a lingering finish showcasing the wines cooler-climate acidity.

Overall: I like this wine a lot for its value, at $13 it’s a good buy. From the nose I was expecting a bit more on the palate, but I guess I will have to go out and buy the Reserve to get the whole bang.

4 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try that one against some Louis Martini Monte Rosso Cabs. If this is the vineyard I'm thinking of, it's about 100m from the Monte Rosso site up on the hillside in Sonoma Valley.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger David Ogilvie said...

Cool, thanks Scott, I'll look for some Monte Rosso out here.

cheers
david

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question: Does the label have to say "reserve" for it to be the reserve? I have a bottle of 2003 in my pantry and I'm trying to figure out the price as it was a gift. I want to return a similar-priced gift of wine to the donor. Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, the Reserve actually says "reserve" on the label.

cheers
david

 

Post a Comment

<< Home